To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
Are you ready to embark on a journey that transcends ordinary travel experiences? We are looking for a high-performer to join our exceptional team at White Desert, where we redefine luxury tourism with unparalleled experiences.
1. WHITE DESERT
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, White Desert Antarctica has an incredible 18-year history operating luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica. We fly guests from our home base in Cape Town on a private jet for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking and exploring ice tunnels. We have two client camps hosting up to 12 guests each: our flagship property Whichaway and brand new, space inspired boutique retreat, Echo.
Prices range from $14,500 pp for a day trip to $110,000 pp for the company’s signature South Pole & Emperors itinerary.
Despite being a niche player, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The company is beginning a new phase in its growth, moving from operating a blue ice runway and luxury eco-camps to a brand new 7 Continent, around the World journey premiering in January 2025 – White Desert World.
2. PRODUCT OFFERING
White Desert offers three main products:
South Pole & Emperors – 7/8-day trip costing up to $110,000pp sharing and includes trips to the South Pole and the Emperor Penguins at Atka Bay. These trips take place during December and January.
Early Emperors – as above without the South Pole trip, this costs up to $71,500pp sharing and takes place in November before the South Pole trips begin.
12 January – 2 February 2025. Starting in Mexico City, the trip will touch upon all 7 Continents in the first-of-a-kind journey. The price will be approx. $188,000pp for up to 50 passengers flying in a specially configured Boeing 757 with lie flat seats. Clients will have the choice of two endings: either the ‘Greatest Day’ where they will be flown to Antarctica and spend 3 hours on ice (included in the price) or a longer 5 day stay to explore the stunning scenery and undertake some breathtaking activities (supplement of $37,000pp).
Click here for Brochure Link
3. ROLE, REPORTING & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Business Development Manager will report to the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer and will have strategic oversight primarily of the Trade Channel globally for our Antarctic products. Further opportunities for role growth are available.
Role Overview: You will be at the forefront of driving tourism revenue on a global scale. You will lead a small but powerful team in the sales department, focusing on the agent/Tour Operator channel.
STRATEGY & PLANNING
- Develop and implement a comprehensive 12-month plan and resource strategy for the agent/Tour Operator channel.
- Measure and analyse return on investment, making data-driven decisions to optimize performance. You should also be able to analyse financial, statistical, and economic data.
- To increase company revenue by identifying profitable business opportunities and developing long-term business growth strategies.
- Developing in-depth knowledge of company offerings to identify profitable business opportunities.
- Researching emerging trends and recommending new company offerings to satisfy customers’ needs.
- Direct marketing efforts by presenting market research to CMO and suggesting strategies to expand sales including client events, visibility on trade websites, in newsletters and on their social media channels.
- Track end-to-end guest experience and measure and review.
- Analyse the effectiveness of sales and marketing campaigns by event, region, and other demographics to drive future budget and efforts.
- Manage pricing, commissions, incentives, and discounts to optimize profitability for the trade channel.
- Generate new sales leads, produce quotes and proposals and close deals with prospects.
- Maintain and exploit the company’s CRM database of clients, agents, and referrers to drive new sales.
- Develop sales activation and marketing activities to achieve the trade sales plan.
- Oversee the sales performance of WD’s representation companies.
- As required, attend WD webinars and industry events (online and offline) to increase awareness and develop network.
- Measure and review conversion ratios and ways to improve.
- Collaborate closely with others in the sales team to ensure a unified and effective approach to market expansion.
- Foster a culture of teamwork, resilience, and initiative within the sales team.
- Build relationships with tour operators and advisors globally.
- Be persuasive and have strong business acumen.
- Adept at negotiating sound business deals.
- Building solid relationships with guests as well as sales and marketing teams within the channel.
- Develop and manage strategic partnerships to grow revenue.
- Drive tourism revenue globally by establishing and nurturing relationships with key partners.
ACCOUNT MANAGEMENT & GUEST ONBOARDING
- Design and execute a Key Account Management Plan for the trade channel include lead generation and conversion tools for use across the Trade Sales team.
- Manage and lead a monthly measure and review meeting with the CMO and trade sales team to assess the efficacy of the trade sales channel.
- Own and manage all contacts, companies, and deals for the trade sales channel in Hubspot, ensuring accuracy of information and timely input of data.
- Manage and resolve conflict arising in the trade sales channel with regards to, but not limited to: refunds, client complaints, cancellation of travel and agent complaints.
- Review key account sales performance regularly throughout the year.
- Develop region specific key account management plans for the trade channel.
- Review and measure the ROI on key accounts, Trade Shows and Sales Trip investment.
- Lead onboarding calls for all confirmed trade guests for the season.
4. CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 10 years experience in business development
- 5* luxury tourism experience is great, but not essential
- Excellent team player who shares success, ideas and learning with others
- Strong ability to create and execute strategic plans, delivering measurable results
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills with a focus on commercial success
- Proven track record of delivering against multi-million-dollar sales targets
- Proven track record of lead generation and increasing new business
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial business
- Articulate and diplomatic; able to hold their own with the UHNW community
- Able to balance the need for high quality versus flexibility and speed
- Excited by travel and adventure
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and capable of driving initiatives independently
- Strong initiative and creativity
- Excellent ability to build and manage relationships with C-Suite and Board level individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs.
Cape Town, South Africa.
6. SALES & MARKETING TEAM
The team consists of 10 team members and is headed by the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer (CSMO) and consists of:
- The Antarctica Sales team (Head of Trade Sales, Senior Reservationist, Head of Guest Sales, Junior Reservationist).
- The White Desert World Sales team (Head of Sales & Sales Executive).
- The Marketing team which covers both Antarctica and World (Digital Marketing Lead, Content Marketing Lead, Graphic Designer and Photographer).
They are supported by representation companies in key markets and a London-based PR agency on retainer.
The team is small and agile and everyone is willing to pitch in and help out to achieve success.
The strategic focus is to drive revenue growth through:
- increasing new qualified leads, and
- increasing brand awareness
This is primarily done through PR, targeted marketing and by developing strong relationships with existing explorer networks, the high-end travel agency community (including networks such as Virtuoso), and alternate providers to the UHNW community such as jet brokers and private members clubs. Word of mouth and referrals from previous guests are also core to what we do.
7. COMPANY VALUES
We believe in:
- This is a big value that encompasses a myriad of crucial elements that are required at White Desert.
- Innovation. Resilience. Motivation.
- Ability to pivot on the spot.
- No time wasters here please.
- Keeping true to the roots of where White Desert began – in an expedition across the continent, through the unknown, with a small team of fearless friends, hauling a pulk and trail blazing kite skiing.
- Accepting the challenge
- Interested in the unknown and the new.
- Never settling for the norm.
- Taking each challenge head on.
- Courageously looking at the way we problem solve.
- We have your back
- In Antarctica team spirit is not a nicety but a must.
- Born out of a real need to look out for each other, it has become a way of being at White Desert. We are a diverse group from across the globe who support each other’s actions and treat each other with respect for who we are and what we do – even when there is a desert between us.
- We are fortunate to see what few will ever get to see.
- It is our responsibility to protect the fragile and fundamentally important wilderness that is Antarctica.
- We must protect our colleagues and customers in this harsh environment. We must be aware of the impact that every action and decision we take has.
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]