To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 36 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private jet for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, and exploring ice tunnels.
Operating out of two luxury camps Echo and Whichaway, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The ambition is to maintain exceptional levels of service and hospitality, particularly the guest facing aspect to always ensure a premium luxury experience. White Desert not only provides tourism but also services the Antarctic science community.
Please note that the role is a 6 week contract role and attracts a daily wage that is aligned to the candidates experience and working in Antarctica.
The Chef is responsible for preparing meals in Antarctica at one of our remote ECHO or WHICHAWAY camps. They will prepare all meals for those staying at the camp, including the guests and staff. The Chef is expected to keep the kitchen area clean and tidy whilst also assisting with general camp duties.
Working closely with the Food, Beverage & Housekeeping Manager, who is based in Cape Town, and the Head Chef in Antarctica, the chef will need to be in constant communication with regard to food stock levels and resupply requirements. The Chef is expected to manage all food supply levels and use initiative should the re-supply of goods not be delivered to camp, due to various unpredictable circumstances.
The role will be supported by the White Desert Head Chef that will move between camps to ensure that only the best is served to guests. The role will be supported by a kitchen/camp assistant.
There is also an administrative element to this role which will require the Chef to be flexible in their approach to work and provide support where necessary to other team members.
- Prepare all meals for guests and staff at Echo or Whichaway camps to a White Desert standard;
- Ensure a clean and tidy kitchen and dining area;
- Ensure a clean and organized food storage area, keeping all cold and frozen food correctly stored;
- Keeping track of food supplies and rationing of food if required;
- Maintain constant communication with the Food, Beverage and Housekeeping Manager (in Cape Town) with regard to supplies that are needed;
- Understand the regulations involved with logistics, preparation and serving of meals in Antarctica, as well as all other hospitality related tasks;
- Understand the processes involved in preparing, packing and sending goods to Antarctica;
- Be innovative when the requested supplies or the fresh food re-supply is not delivered within the expected timeframe;
- Serve and present meals for guests when they stay or visit the camp;
- Set up and serve snacks and beverages to the guests at the camp;
- Complete a full inventory of all food items and kitchen equipment at the end of the contract.
- Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs. Also, the heavy demands on hospitality during season may require longer hours and weekend work
- From time to time, the performance of duties outside the sphere of this job description will be required, as and when necessary, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited, this includes but is not limited to actively contributing to the daily maintenance of the White Desert Camp and ensuring a standard duty of care.
- In addition, there is an all-embracing expectation that each team member will work collaboratively within the team framework and that each team member is responsible for maintaining a supportive environment in line with the White Desert ethos.
2. CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
Minimum 5 years of related experience at a Head or Sous chef level in fine-dining restaurants, 5-star lodges or hotels.
Qualifications and desired qualities:
- Accredited Chef’s Qualification or equivalent
- Experience working in a restaurant/luxury lodge/hotel
- Understanding of hospitality procedures and best practices
- Highly resourceful and strong problem-solving skills
- Acting as a strong team player.
- Resilient and able to cook in remote and challenging conditions.
Cape Town, South Africa
Wolf’s Fang, Antarctica
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]
Enter your email here to sign up for our newsletter