To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 36 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private jet for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, and exploring ice tunnels.
Operating out of two luxury camps Echo and Whichaway, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The ambition is to maintain exceptional levels of service and hospitality, particularly the guest facing aspect to always ensure a premium luxury experience. White Desert not only provides tourism but also services the Antarctic science community.
Please note that the role is a 6 week contract role and attracts a daily wage that is aligned to the candidates experience and working in Antarctica.
The Chef/camp assistant is responsible for supporting the preparation of meals in Antarctica at one of our remote ECHO or WHICHAWAY camps. They will support the Chef to prepare all meals for those staying at the camp, including the guests and staff. The chef/camp assistant is expected to keep the kitchen area clean and tidy whilst also assisting with general camp duties.
The role will support the chef in managing stock levels and engaging with the distribution manager at Wolf’s Fang runway.
The role will be supported by the White Desert Head Chef that will move between camps to ensure that only the best is served to guests.
- Support the preparation of all meals for guests and staff at Echo or Whichaway camps to a White Desert standard;
- Ensure a clean and tidy kitchen and dining area;
- Ensure a clean and organized food storage area, keeping all cold and frozen food correctly stored;
- Support the team by ensuring the guest dining areas are keep stocked, clean and presentable at all times.
- Support the front of house with guest service;
- Keeping track of food supplies and rationing of food if required;
- Understand the processes involved in preparing, packing and sending goods to Antarctica;
- Be innovative when the requested supplies or the fresh food re-supply is not delivered within the expected timeframe;
- Complete a full inventory of all food items and kitchen equipment at the end of the contract.
- Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs. Also, the heavy demands on hospitality during season may require longer hours and weekend work
- From time to time, the performance of duties outside the sphere of this job description will be required, as and when necessary, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited, this includes but is not limited to actively contributing to the daily maintenance of the White Desert Camp and ensuring a standard duty of care.
- In addition, there is an all-embracing expectation that each team member will work collaboratively within the team framework and that each team member is responsible for maintaining a supportive environment in line with the White Desert ethos.
2. CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
Minimum 2 years of related experience at junior chef or kitchen assistant level in fine-dining restaurants, 5 star lodges or hotels.
Qualifications and desired qualities:
- Accredited Chef’s Qualification or equivalent
- Experience working in a restaurant/luxury lodge/hotel
- Understanding of hospitality procedures and best practices
- Highly resourceful and strong problem-solving skills
- Acting as a strong team player.
- Resilient and able to cook in remote and challenging conditions.
Cape Town, South Africa
Wolf’s Fang, Antarctic
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]
Enter your email here to sign up for our newsletter