To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 36 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private charter for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, and exploring ice tunnels.
Operating out of two luxury camps Echo and Whichaway, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The ambition is to maintain exceptional levels of service and hospitality, particularly the guest facing aspect to always ensure a premium luxury experience. White Desert not only provides tourism but also services the Antarctic science community.
Please note that the role is a 6 week contract role and attracts a daily wage that is aligned to the candidates experience and working in Antarctica.
This role is responsible for providing a friendly, welcoming, and efficient service to all guests, in line with White Desert’s vision and values of customer satisfaction. The role includes overseeing and coordinating the work of the Camp Assistant team and reports to the Camp Manager.
Key responsibilities will be to:
- Ensure WD standards of service and hospitality are executed in camp.
Management of Team:
As the line manager of two/three camp assistants throughout season, you will be responsible for ensuring each assistant understands their role on ice, performs their duties to the expected level and always interacts responsibly with guests. You will be the first point of contact for your team for any issues that arise regarding their role on ice or life in camp. Any concerns will be directed to you and then elevated to the Camp Manager as required.
Interactions with Guests:
- To undertake front of house duties, including meeting, greeting and attending to the needs of guests, to ensure a superb customer service experience at all times.
- To liaise with your Camp Manager regarding guest profiles and requirements for each trip (who will liaise with the Guest Manager in Cape Town regarding this information)
- Be the point of contact for guests regarding any housekeeping and catering questions.
- To deal with guest requests to ensure a comfortable and pleasant stay.
- To communicate any guest complaints regarding accommodation and catering to the Camp Manager and work together to find a solution as quickly as possible in an effective and courteous manner.
- To be responsible for the presentation of the gift shop items in camp and all purchases to guests (including communication purchases) – taking orders, filling out the forms, taking payments and sending all the information to Cape Town as well as tracking all purchases on ice. Keep petty cash and record balance changes
Support of catering staff:
The role is supported by the camp chef assistant but will take the lead from a service perspective.
- To be aware of any special guest requests (diets, preferences etc.) and ensure these are communicated to the guest team (camp assistants, chef, guides)
- To train and manage the Camp Assistants, and to share the washing up and cleaning duties where necessary.
- To schedule and rota camp staff to clean in conjunction with the Chef. The Camp Manager will communicate this rota to all staff.
- To be responsible for keeping the entrance pod, lounge and dining room areas clean and presentable at all times.
- To ensure snacks and drinks are available at all times in the dining pod for guests to help themselves
- To oversee and assist with setting up the breakfast, lunch and dinner tables.
- To organise the preparation and presentation of pre-dinner and evening drinks.
- To take guest breakfast orders, relay orders to the kitchen and ensure all orders are filled in a timely and accurate fashion.
- To serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- To help with organising of treks, picnic lunches, 4×4 excursions with the Chef.
Change over day:
- Oversee the cleaning of the camp between guests and preparation of services for new guests.
- Coordinate the staff to ensure all areas completed in a timely manner – cleaning of all pods, collection all used linen, towels, hot water bottle covers etc for return to Cape Town for laundry on each rotation of guests.
- Ensure all guests have taken their WD loan items back with them and complete a clothing and boot check lists if possible. Email information to Guest Relationship Manager in Cape Town (or do so via Camp Manager).
- The above outlines the primary responsibilities for the roles/duties, is not exhaustive and may be changed at any time, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited and within the parameters of the position; and
- From time to time, the performance of duties outside the sphere of this job description will be required, as and when necessary, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited, this includes but is not limited to actively contributing to the daily maintenance of the White Desert Camps and ensuring a standard duty of care.
- In addition, there is an all-embracing expectation that each team member will work collaboratively within the team framework and that each team member is responsible for maintaining a supportive environment in line with the White Desert ethos.
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]
Stay in touch
Enter your email here to sign up for our newsletter