To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 12 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private jet for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, yoga and exploring ice tunnels.
Prices range from $14,500 pp for a day trip to $104,000 pp for the company’s signature South Pole & Emperors itinerary.
Despite being a niche player, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The company is beginning a new phase in its growth, moving from one luxury eco-camp to two, with a host of other plans in the pipeline. The ambition is to further improve the levels of service and hospitality, particularly the guest facing aspect to ensure a premium luxury experience at all times. In achieving so, the Head of Hospitality will drive future business and add guest value by developing and driving strategy together with an established team. White Desert not only provides tourism but also services the Antarctic science community.
2. PRODUCT OFFERING
The season runs from mid-November to the first week of February. White Desert logistics and hospitality staff are in Antarctica from late October to mid-February each year, while the office team are based in Cape Town.
White Desert offers two main products:
South Pole & Emperors – 7/8-day trip costing $98,500 (Whichaway WA) or $104,000 (Echo – EC) pp sharing and includes trips to the South Pole and the Emperor Penguins at Atka Bay. These trips take place during December and January.
Early Emperors – as above without the South Pole trip, this costs $62,500 (WA) or $65,000 (EC) pp sharing and takes place in November before the South Pole trips begin.
3. ROLE REPORTING & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The role will report to the Commercial Director with a soft line into the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer to ensure cross team collaboration and information sharing. The role will require the successful individual to travel in season to and from Antarctica.
Life in Antarctica:
- The freezing temperatures, strong winds and 24 hour sunshine make working in Antarctica extremely challenging. This role lend itself to someone that is extremely resilient to the above as well as being agile.
- Lead a team of camp managers that will ensure the effective management of our 3 camps at Wolf’s Fang runway, Whichaway and Echo.
- This will require spending a considerable amount of time in Antarctica between November and February.
- Set and monitor the White Desert standard of service across all the camps.
- Liaise and coordinate activities with logistics team at Wolfs Fang runway.
- Train camp staff on the job to deliver exemplary service to guests and staff.
- Work alongside the Food and Beverage Manager (who will be based in Cape Town during the season) to ensure that supplies are provided as necessary in Antarctica.
- Develop a strong team culture at the respective camps through your partnership with the camp managers.
- Work alongside the Commercial Director and Chief Marketing Officer to develop interesting additions to the product offerings in camp and for our day trips.
- Hiring the right individuals within camp and maintaining an improving staff retention rate season on season.
4. CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
Minimum 10 years of related experience in hospitality sector with a strong commercial acumen, real people management skills and ability to deliver at a strategic level.
Qualifications and desired qualities:
- Qualification in Hospitality or business management (or equivalent);
- Experience in managing a luxury lodge/hotel;
- Understanding of hospitality procedures and best practices;
- Highly resourceful and strong problem-solving skills;
- Capacity and willingness to both be operational and strategical when required;
- Interest in supporting scientific activities in Antarctica;
- Transformational leadership and ability to undertake critical analysis in order to drive crucial decisions;
- Acting as a strong people manager;
- Collaborate across multi-functional teams (internal/external stakeholder’s management);
Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs. Also, the heavy demands on the company during season may require longer hours and weekend work.
Cape Town, South Africa
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]