To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. WHITE DESERT
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, White Desert Antarctica has an incredible 18-year history operating luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica. We fly guests from our home base in Cape Town on a private jet for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking and exploring ice tunnels. We have two client camps hosting up to 12 guests each: our flagship property Whichaway and brand new, space inspired boutique retreat, Echo.
Prices range from $14,500 pp for a day trip to $110,000 pp for the company’s signature South Pole & Emperors itinerary.
Despite being a niche player, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The company is beginning a new phase in its growth, moving from operating a blue ice runway and luxury eco-camps to a brand new 7 Continent, around the World journey premiering in January 2025 – White Desert World.
2. PRODUCT OFFERING
White Desert offers three main products:
South Pole & Emperors – 7/8-day trip costing up to $110,000pp sharing and includes trips to the South Pole and the Emperor Penguins at Atka Bay. These trips take place during December and January.
Early Emperors – as above without the South Pole trip, this costs up to $71,500pp sharing and takes place in November before the South Pole trips begin.
12 January – 2 February 2025. Starting in Mexico City, the trip will touch upon all 7 Continents in the first-of-a-kind journey. The price will be approx. $188,000pp for up to 50 passengers flying in a specially configured Boeing 757 with lie flat seats. Clients will have the choice of two endings: either the ‘Greatest Day’ where they will be flown to Antarctica and spend 3 hours on ice (included in the price) or a longer 5 day stay to explore the stunning scenery and undertake some breathtaking activities (supplement of $37,000pp).
Click here for Brochure Link
3. ROLE, REPORTING & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Marketing Lead will report to the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer and will have strategic oversight of the following pillars:
Marketing strategy: Positioning, storytelling, status and affiliation. It’s critical to understand the user experience and the change we seek to make.
- Develop and execute comprehensive social media, EDM, website, blog and content strategies aligned with company objectives
- Brand Partnership/Influencer outreach
Content Creation/Promotion: PR and content strategy, copywriting – consistently and generously telling our story.
- Blog Creations
- Editing all content to ensure accuracy, tone and quality
Sales support: The main role of marketing is to support the work of the sales team.
- Website management
- Enquiry Form creation/optimisation
- Social Media content creation & calendar management (Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook)
- Digital (SEO, SEM, Google Ads)
- Management of the Marketing Database
Analysis: Consistently monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of our various marketing strategies. This is perhaps the most critical role within the function – understanding what we are spending and what results we are generating from those efforts.
- Target Setting
- Google Analytics
- Campaign tracking, testing, optimisation
- Analyse key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns and make data-driven decisions
4. CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS
- Approximately 5-10 years of experience in digital marketing
- A degree in Marketing, Business, or a related field is preferred
- Strong understanding of social media algorithms and the ability to analyse and interpret data to inform content strategy;
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to interpret data and translate it into actionable insights
- The ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- A passion for helping entrepreneurs succeed
- Understanding of SEO/SEM best practices
- Flexibility in changing tasks and responding to evolving priorities
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- A passion for social media and an understanding of how to effectively use it to build communities and drive engagement
- Expertise in using HubSpot for digital marketing campaign management and analytics or alternative platforms (Preferred)
Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs.
Cape Town, South Africa in Constantia, Southern Suburbs
6. SALES & MARKETING TEAM
White Desert’s Marketing & Sales team consists of 7 full time team members based in the Cape Town office. They are supported by representation companies in key markets and a London-based PR agency on retainer.
The team is small and agile, and everyone is willing to pitch in and help out to achieve success. The strategic focus is to drive sales through our marketing efforts and by developing strong relationships with existing explorer networks and the high-end travel agency community (including networks such as Virtuoso), as well as with alternate providers to the UHNW community such as jet brokers and private family office concierges. Word of mouth, PR and referrals from previous guests are core to generating leads.
7. COMPANY VALUES
We believe in:
- This is a big value that encompasses a myriad of crucial elements that are required at White Desert.
- Innovation. Resilience. Motivation.
- Ability to pivot on the spot.
- No time wasters here please.
- Keeping true to the roots of where White Desert began – in an expedition across the continent, through the unknown, with a small team of fearless friends, hauling a pulk and trail blazing kite skiing.
- Accepting the challenge
- Interested in the unknown and the new.
- Never settling for the norm.
- Taking each challenge head on.
- Courageously looking at the way we problem solve.
- We have your back
- In Antarctica team spirit is not a nicety but a must.
- Born out of a real need to look out for each other, it has become a way of being at White Desert. We are a diverse group from across the globe who support each other’s actions and treat each other with respect for who we are and what we do – even when there is a desert between us.
- We are fortunate to see what few will ever get to see.
- It is our responsibility to protect the fragile and fundamentally important wilderness that is Antarctica.
- We must protect our colleagues and customers in this harsh environment. We must be aware of the impact that every action and decision we take has.
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]