To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 12 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private charter for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, yoga and exploring ice tunnels.
Prices range from $14,500 pp for a day trip to $104,000 pp for the company’s signature South Pole & Emperors itinerary.
Despite being a niche player, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The company is beginning a new phase in its growth, moving from one luxury eco-camp to two, with a host of other plans in the pipeline. White Desert is growing its Sales team to assist in growing revenue, new lead generation and conversion of sales.
2. PRODUCT OFFERING
The season runs from mid-November to the first week of February. White Desert logistics and hospitality staff are in Antarctica from late October to mid-February each year, while the office team are based in Cape Town.
White Desert offers two main products:
South Pole & Emperors – 7/8-day trip costing $98,500 (Whichaway WA) or $104,000 (Echo – EC) pp sharing and includes trips to the South Pole and the Emperor Penguins at Atka Bay. These trips take place during December and January.
Early Emperors – as above without the South Pole trip, this costs $62,500 (WA) or $65,000 (EC) pp sharing and takes place in November before the South Pole trips begin.
3. SALES & MARKETING TEAM
White Desert’s Marketing & Sales team consists of the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer (CSMO), the Head of Sales (HoS), Senior Reservationist, Junior Reservationist, Content Executive and the Digital Marketing Coordinator. They are supported by representation companies in key markets and a London-based PR agency on retainer.
The strategic focus is to drive sales by developing strong relationships with existing explorer networks and the high-end travel agency community (including networks such as Virtuoso), as well as with alternate providers to the UHNW community such as jet and yacht brokers and private family office concierges. Word of mouth, PR and referrals from previous guests are also core to what we do.
4. ROLE REPORTING & KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The New Sales Lead will report to the Chief Sales & Marketing Officer and will have strategic oversight of the following pillars:
- Existing client networks
- Brand Partners (such as Bremont, Virgin Galactic etc)
- White Desert World (possible addition for the right candidate. This is a ring-fenced product offering comprising a 7 Continent, Round the World, one-off trip ending in Antarctica)
The New Sales Lead will be directly responsible for the following:
- Lead generation of enquiries from all country source markets relating to the above pillars
- Target setting for these pillars to support White Desert’s overall revenue goals (in conjunction with CSMO and HoS).
Lead Generation & Conversion
- The Sales Lead will drive new business from existing brand partners and country channels
- Drive sales growth through finding new strategic brand partners and community networks
- Deliver against and monitor revenue against targets and overall sales objectives (in conjunction with HoS)
- Achieve a conversion rate of 1 : 4 on engaged sales leads
- Develop and manage relationships with senior owners and key sales consultants within our existing brand partner network
- Work with the team to ensure smooth transition of booking confirmation to client onboarding
- Support the CSMO in driving new marketing opportunities through either PR or the management of events with key communities
5. CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION
- Minimum 10 years experience in luxury sales
- Proven track record of delivering against multi-million dollar sales targets
- Proven track record of lead generation and increasing new business
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial business
- Articulate and diplomatic; able to hold their own with the UHNW community
- Able to balance the need for high quality versus flexibility and speed
- Excited by travel, winter sports and Antarctica
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Self-starter, able to work independently including with colleagues working remotely
- Strong initiative and creativity
- Team player who shares ideas and learning with others
- Professional presentation with a sense of adventure
- Excellent ability to build and manage relationships with senior people from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
Please note: the above is not exhaustive and may be modified to suit operational needs. In particular, the heavy demands on the company during the season may require the Sales Lead to assist in Safety Briefings / Client Onboarding etc.
Preferably Cape Town, South Africa
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]