To apply for the following position please ensure to send the following;
- Cover letter
- Salary expectations
- Include position title you will be applying for in the subject line to [email protected]
1. THE COMPANY
Established in 2005 by record-breaking polar explorers, husband-and-wife duo Patrick and Robyn Woodhead, White Desert Antarctica operates luxury trips to the interior of Antarctica, flying 36 guests at a time from its home base in Cape Town on a private charter for once-in-a-lifetime experiences including visiting the South Pole, summiting an unclimbed mountain, photographing a colony of 28,000 emperor penguins, climbing, trekking, and exploring ice tunnels.
Operating out of two luxury camps Echo and Whichaway, the company is already recognised as a pioneer in providing breath-taking eco-experiences in a challenging environment. The ambition is to maintain exceptional levels of service and hospitality, particularly the guest facing aspect to always ensure a premium luxury experience. White Desert not only provides tourism but also services the Antarctic science community.
Joining the White Desert team as, Runway Manager, managing the day-to-day field and aviation program in Antarctica, including the operation of the Wolf’s Fang Runway and associated camp.
The position will direct and supervise a team of up to 30 people comprising Mechanics, Plant Operators, Aircrew and General Hands. The team is required to maintain the runway to specified standards through the summer and assist in aircraft ground handling when required. They will also oversee the operation of several remote ski-ways that the runway team will man throughout the summer.
The role is responsible for overseeing the local flying program including the scheduling of local flights and liaison with the contracted aircraft (BT-67) and crew, which will be based at the runway. The Runway Manager will also host clients as they transit between Wolf’s Fang and the Whichaway Camp.
The position involves a significant amount of manual work and may include trade work as either a Plant Operator or Diesel Mechanic. Operating hours are largely dictated by suitable weather and flexible work routines are required. The work area is primarily outside and living accommodation is tent based.
Reporting to the Flight Operations Lead, the Runway Manager’s responsibilities include:
The Wolfs Fang Runway Manager is responsible for:
- Overseeing the White Desert field operations, including client excursions, resupply activities by traverse, ship, and flight operations;
- The safety of all staff and clients.
- Compliance with permit and treaty obligations.
- Achievement of the season flying plan and the management of the local flight program including dispatch approval of aircraft.
- The safe and efficient allocation and utilization of White Desert resources.
- The operation of the Wolf’s Fang Runway including site safety, airside operations, participation in flight planning and liaison with aircrew using the facility.
- Establishing, maintaining, and reporting on the condition of the Wolf’s Fang Runway.
- Acting as the ‘Incident Commander’ to plan and lead the response to onsite and offsite incidents, including coordination with other Antarctic operators and resources.
- Leadership of the runway and wider field operations team.
- Contributing to the development of procedures for the Wolf’s Fang Runway operation and maintenance.
- Interpreting and adhering to technical publications and directions on ice runway maintenance techniques.
- Quality assurance functions.
- Pre-season planning including staff recruitment, movement planning and the procurement of necessary stores and equipment as part of pre-embarkation activities.
- Hosting clients and visitors to the site; and
- Adhering to all applicable environmental requirements.
- The above outlines the primary responsibilities for the roles/duties, is not exhaustive and may be changed at any time, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited and within the parameters of the position; and
- From time to time, the performance of duties outside the sphere of this job description will be required, as and when necessary, dependent upon the operational requirements of White Desert Limited.
Candidate Specifications Competencies
- Education or certification in Aviation, Aerospace, Safety or a related field
- Knowledge and understanding in SMS and associated process
- Knowledge of aviation safety
- Experience with flight and/or dispatch operations and safety programs
- Computer literate
- Understanding of aircraft types and performance, as well as regulatory and physical operating environment.
- Strong knowledge of ground operations activity
- Understanding of flight administrative functions
Required Skills and Experience
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Strong work ethic, ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-driven, high-pressure environment and provide results.
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Solid communication skills
- Ability to cope with heavy workload
- Understand of clients’ needs and expectations through effective communication
- Building relationships with clients and subordinates
- Process safety reports submitted by Flight Operations personnel.
- While performing the duties of this job, there is requirement to regularly stand, sit, and walk for long duration in uneven and slippery terrain.
- May be required to work various shifts/days in a 24-hour situation.
- Exposure to weather elements and
- During the operational season, all employees will be constrained to confined residing, in tents or pods .
Please send your CV, cover letter and include position you will be applying for in subject line to [email protected]